United States thanks to NATO Ally Turkey for 'generous donation' of coronavirus aid

On his Twitter account, the U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo shared the photo taken while the military cargo plane carrying the medical aid sent by Turkey was landing on Andrew Air Base near the capital, Washington.

“NATO allies must stand together in times of crisis,” said Pompeo in a Twitter message. “We thank Turkey for their generous donation of medical supplies and protective equipment to help us fight COVID-19 in our hardest-hit areas. Americans are grateful for your friendship, partnership, and support.”

U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for European and NATO Policies Michael Ryan said, “We are grateful to Turkey for the aid they have provided the USA with and the leadership model they have presented in NATO in the fight against COVID-19.”

Stating that Turkish and American officials coordinated the aid for a week, Ryan said, “Turkey’s aid to the USA, like its aids to Italy, Spain, England, and the Balkans, has been made with the coordination of NATO.”

The Turkish Minister of Health Fahrettin Koca had a phone call with U.S. Minister of Health and Human Services Alex Azar.

Turkish Ambassador Serdar Kılıç, met the shipment and delivered President Erdoğan’s letter to Trump to U.S. officials during the transportation of the aid package at the U.S. Joint Andrews Base.

It was announced that Turkey’s aid package included 500,000 masks, 400,000 gowns, 2,000 liters of disinfectant, 500 face shields, 400 N95-type masks, and 1,500 protective glasses.

In addition, The second military cargo plane from Turkey arrived in the USA on Friday, May 1, completing the entire delivery.

Turkish-American Doctors are fighting coronavirus outbreak in NYC

Dr. Dogan: It is crucial to perform wide-spread testing.

I had chance to talk with a successful doctor working at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Özgen Dogan who is among the notable people in the Turkish-American society. Dr. Dogan said that situation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic was dire in New York and that they were literally working in a battlefield. 

Dr. Dogan emphasized the importance of conducting extensive tests as a solution, saying, “I also have infected colleagues in my close circle.” Stating that they could get some results in the fight against the virus with the local and anticipatory measures and networking, Dr. Dogan said the quarantine in the region of New Rochelle was a success. Dr. Dogan stated that Hydrox or plasma therapies were the treatments where the benefits were not yet proven, and tests showing immunity or infection development should be widely conducted while life returns to normal.

 It is noteworthy that Dr. Dogan states that healthcare professionals who have tested negative so far should be tested daily; she constantly indicates the importance of tests in the fight against COVID-19. Remarking there was a large number of coronavirus cases among African Americans due to their living conditions and lack of adequate treatment opportunities, 

Dr. Dogan stated that Apple and Google had an agreement to develop a joint application for the detection of coronavirus infections in the field of technology, which was a major development.

Dr. Kıyıcı: We are seeing the benefits of staying home.

In my interview with Dr. Nejat Kıyıcı, who served as president of the Turkish-American Medical Association and works at Montefiore Hospital, he stated they had many COVID-19 patients at the hospital and staying home was quite beneficial. 

He said the number of infected was at least thrice the number announced, and people were still unable to get tests. Stating that the number of cases and deaths would reach a peak in New York that week, Dr. Kıyıcı added there would be a further drop in the numbers if people stayed home for 3–4 weeks more. 

While stating the normalization process should not occur before June, Dr. Kıyıcı also emphasized that cases might increase if all areas reopened. He also said that even though the hospitals in New York were well prepared, nationwide measures were taken too late.

  • Published in Health

President Trump: “The worst could be behind us around July or August.”

U.S. President Donald Trump spoke at the daily press conference of the Coronavirus Task Force, which has been created to combat the coronavirus. On a question posed as to when the worst would be behind us in the coronavirus crisis, Trump said, “There are those who say July or August, or even later.”

President Trump said, “My son has been asking how bad it is... It’s bad.” and He warned people against getting together in groups of 10 or more.

“Here, I meant that the steps taken by my administration against the virus are under control, not that the virus itself is under control,” said President Trump. “The virus isn't under control anywhere in the world right now.”

Trump, who also stated that the first trial of the vaccine against COVID-19 was being carried out today, said, “This is one of the fastest developed vaccines in history.”

“We may be going towards a recession, but we are faced with an invisible enemy.”

Trump was asked about the fall in the stock market and coronavirus’ impact on the economy as well as concerns regarding a possible recession in the U.S. He said, “We could be heading towards a recession. We are facing an invisible enemy, a problem that no one could know a month ago. Our priority is to eliminate this problem. Then everything will fall into place.”

He said that there could be a major improvement in the economy after the coronavirus crisis and that U.S. airline companies would be supported 100 percent during this process.

Coronavirus Warning from the White House: “Do Your Part”

Following the announcement by President Donald Trump at the press conference of the Task Force established as part of the fight against the coronavirus, the White House issued a series of warnings about measures to prevent the virus from spreading.

The notification, which has been published, contains warnings such as, “Don’t go to work or go out if you are sick,” “Don’t send your children to school if they are sick,” “Don’t go out if anyone from your family has been diagnosed with corona,” and “Don’t go out if you are old aged or have a chronic illness.”

In the statement, the message was given that the public had been advised to do their part in preventing the spread of the coronavirus.

Coronavirus Measures at the Pentagon

There has been a statement from the office of the U.S. Secretary of Defense regarding the fight against the coronavirus. It was stated that Secretary Mark Esper would be working from a physically different location than his deputy and the rest of his team.

According to the statement made by a Pentagon spokesperson, restrictions have been brought to visits to Secretary Mark Esper, and visitors were being scanned. In the statement, it was said that so far, 18 soldiers had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Yale Academician Kaveh Khoshnood: “Don’t Panic!”

Image result for Kaveh Khoshnood,

Kaveh Khoshood, Faculty Director of InnovativeHealth and Program Co-Director of the Global Health Ethics Program at Yale University, spoke to Turk of America on the coronavirus threat. He highlighted that the coronavirus is a brand new virus, and a vaccine license for the coronavirus would take over a year to implement. He also has two recommendations for the public:

a: There is no point to panic or be fearful

b: Don’t ignore the reality

He also stated the following: “U.S. has a lot of resources and can contribute globally. WHO same thing but doesn’t have a position for testing or funding. WHO role to play a source/guidance where it is collecting data from countries. Some countries don’t trust West, however, they trust WHO.”

Latest Developments on Coronavirus(03.17.2020)

Confirmed Cases: 182,100

Death Toll: 7,305

Impacted Countries: 140 countries

Top Leading Countries: China, Italy, Iran

As of today, at least 4,482 people in 49 states, have tested positive for the coronavirus, and at least 86 people have died.

  • Published in Health

President Trump Vows Sanctions on Iraq

The hundreds of Iraqis attacking the U.S. embassy in Baghdad were not innocent "protesters," They were mainly members of the Iran-backed militias that, not least at the behest of the IRGC Quds Force Commander Qassem Soleimani, who was killed by U.S. strike.

U.S.-Iran tensions have manifested themselves on Iraqi land for at least three years, and the United States and Iran are on heightened alert after a weekend of military action and fiery rhetoric. President Trump finished his Florida visit last night. During a flight from Florida to Washington, DC on Air Force One, President Trump talked about the increasing tensions with Iran. "They're allowed to kill our people, they're allowed to torture and maim our people, they're allowed to use roadside bombs and blow up our people, and we're not allowed to touch their cultural site? It doesn't work that way," President Trump stated.  

President Trump threatened Iraq with the sanctions and a bill for billions of dollars if the U.S. is forced to withdraw its troops from the nation after the Iraqi Parliament. "If they do ask us to leave if we don't do it on an amicable basis. We will charge them sanctions as they've never seen before ever," President Trump said. Last night, there were strikes in the capital of Iraq, in which three rockets landed inside the heavily fortified Green Zone, US Embassy in Baghdad. Pentagon has announced that additional 3,500 troops are in progress to be sent to the region/U.S. have almost 60,000 troops in the Middle East. United States has 9 Military bases with 5200 US Troops. 

Recent Tweets from President Trump on Iran:

"Iran has been nothing but problems for many years. Let this serves as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans or American assets, we have targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!"

"They attacked us, & we hit back. If they attack again, which I would strongly advise them not to do, we will hit them harder than they have ever been hit before!"

"The United States just spent Two Trillion Dollars on Military Equipment. We are the biggest and by far the BEST in the World! If Iran attacks an American Base, or any American, we will be sending some of that brand new beautiful equipment their way...and without hesitation!"

Secretary Pompeo's Media Appearances and Diplomatic Efforts:

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has appeared on many major TV outlets since Saturday. "We have developed a strategy to attempt to convince the Iranian regime to behave like a normal nation. We expect to achieve that goal. We will defend America." Secretary Pompeo said on CNN. 

He was asked about the Iraqi Parliament's vote; Secretary Pompeo said on the CBS program "Face the Nation,": "It is the United States that is prepared to help the Iraqi people get what it is they deserve and continue our mission there to take down terrorism from ISIS and others in the region,

Iranian Cultural Site Conflict

President Trump raised the prospect of targeting Iranian heritage/cultural sites Saturday in a tweet; however, many foreign policy experts objected to his tweet regarding targeting Iranian culture. As an example, Former U.S. Ambassador to NATO, Nicholas Burns, said President Trump's threat to destroy Iranian cultural sites would be a war crime under U.N. Security Council resolution 2347.

Regarding President Trump's statement attacking Iranian Cultural sites, Secretary Pompeo said that the United States would "behave lawfully" and "behave inside the system." Also, Presidential Adviser Kellyanne Conway suggested that Iran may be hiding strategic military targets at cultural sites

Secretary Pompeo Speaks Turkish Foreign Minister 

Secretary Pompeo and Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu has discussed the decisive defensive action by President Donald Trump employed in Baghdad to protect American lives. Secretary reiterated the importance of countering the Iranian regime's destabilizing activities.

Secretary Pompeo has called his counterparts of Israel. Germany, Russia, China, Italy, France, UAE, and many other senior leaders globally regarding the U.S. recent operation in Baghdad.

Written Statement from Turkish Foreign Ministry:

 "We strongly reiterate that turning Iraq into a conflict zone will harm peace and stability not only in Iraq but also in the entire region. Turkey has always been against foreign interventions, assassinations, and sectarian conflicts in the region."

European Leaders urge Iran to abide by nuclear pact.

French President, German Chancellor, and U.K. Prime Minister release a joint statement "We specifically call on Iran to refrain from further violent action or proliferation, and urge Iran to reverse all measures inconsistent with the JCPA. Also, NATO and US-led coalition Suspend Training Missions in Iraq After Soleimani's Killing

What to expect this week?

President Trump continues tweeting and speaking on Iran and Iraq. Additionally, Iran officials continue to criticize and threaten the U.S. regarding Soleimani's death. It is unknown what would be Iran's next step on U.S. however U.S. is ready to hit back harder if necessary. Gasoline is already up by about six cents a gallon in response to the escalation. We might see a negative economic impact shortly, globally. Iran could disrupt shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, which is the world's biggest oil chokepoint. There are about 21 million barrels of oil a day flowed through Strait of Hormuz per year. 

The U.S. administration continues to pursue a robust program of sanctions against Iran and has issued 9 Executive Orders to implement Congressional legislation since 2011. Trump has an option to have more sanctions on Iran.

Cybersecurity is important since one of the Iranian groups hacked the website of the Federal Depository Library Program.

The relationship between the U.S. and Iraqi government is getting worse, so if the Iraq Government approves the resolution of U.S. troops leaving would be a disaster. This would be more an opportunity for Iran and many terrorist groups. Iran also announced its complete departure from the 2015 nuclear deal that would be bad news for the West. 

With the nuclear agreement, the West was controlling Iran at some point. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and many Democrats have been critical of Trump's decision to conduct an airstrike in Iraq that killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani. The House will introduce and vote on a War Powers Resolution to limit the President's military actions regarding Iran. Senator Tim Kaine introduced a similar resolution. Diplomatic channels are essential to reduce the tension, so many countries have a responsibility to talk to both sides.

President Trump's Surprise Visit to Afghanistan

By Ali Cinar - President Donald Trump served Thanksgiving dinner to U.S service members deployed to Bagram Airfield Thursday on November 29th in Afghanistan.The White House did not inform President Trump's visit to Public until a few hours before landed at Bagram Airbase.It was also his first visit to to Afghanistan. President Trump joined by United States military leaders and White House staff also met with the President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan. President Trump announced U.S. and Taliban have been engaged in ongoing peace talks and said he believes the Taliban want a cease-fire.

Subscribe to this RSS feed