Turk of America interviewed Prof.Howard Forman from Yale University regarding coronavirus threat.
How is the coronavirus outbreak going to end?
It is likely that we will see #covid19 as a new seasonal (or not) threat for the foreseeable future.The critical issue, at the moment, is whether it can be contained this year, sufficiently, to spare premature deaths.
In a global world, we are all in a position to advance public health and contain, or failing that, mitigate harm.My guess is that this will appear much worse rather than much better in a month;In 6 months, we will see that we turned the corner.
- Are U.S. and World Health Organization doing enough to prevent the spread of coronavirus?
The WHO has limited capacity to prevent spread but they certainly are using their expertise, voice, and resources very prudently. The United States has lagged many peer nations in standing up testing/detection capacity.
It seems that we are still 1 or 2 weeks away from being able to adequately test the entire population. But over the last few days,We are seeing evidence that capacity is rapidly advancing and that our health providers and systems are developing appropriate plans for quarantine, isolation, and compassionate treatment.
-How people to prepare for coronavirus?Do you recommend not to travel globally?
The greatest risk from global travel is quarantine.If you are heading “home,” that is not a great risk.But if you are going on a work-related trip, that may be a greater risk than you are willing to accept.For the foreseeable future,I think that we will see a dramatic reduction in global travel, as many countries will block entry or require 2 weeks of quarantine, upon arrival (which is tantamount to blocking travel, unless you are going home).
This virus is far from dangerous for the majority of young, healthy individuals. unfortunately, it is very dangerous to older and sicker individuals and it is in the public’s interest to prevent further spread precisely to protect the most vulnerable among us.
-When could coronavirus be ready?
i do not have any more info than from what i see reported:It sounds like 12 -18 months if all goes well.thanks for your time.
About Prof. Forman:
Professor Forman is a Professor of Diagnostic Radiology (and faculty director for Finance), Public Health (Health Policy), Economics and Management. Professor Forman directs the Health Care management program in the Yale School of Public Health and teaches healthcare economics in the Yale College Economics Department. He is the faculty founder and director of the MD/MBA program as well as the faculty director of the healthcare focus area in the School of Management’s MBA for Executives program. As a practicing emergency/trauma radiologist, he is actively involved in patient care and issues related to financial administration, healthcare compliance, and contracting. His research has been focused on improving imaging services delivery through better access to information. He has worked as a health policy fellow in the U.S. Senate, on Medicare legislation.
- Secretary Pompeo: It's clear that the 5G tide has turned."
- United States thanks to NATO Ally Turkey for 'generous donation' of coronavirus aid
- NYC Mayor: “Don’t let your customers without masks in”
- Turkish-American Doctors are fighting coronavirus outbreak in NYC
- NYC Mayor:We need 45,00 additional health care workers
Latest from Ali Cinar
- President-Elect Biden: "I'm going to shut down the virus, not the economy."
- NYC Mayor: Schools could close by Monday as coronavirus cases spike
- New York Police Department Vision for Fair and Effective Discipline
- Biden's A Team and Covid-19 Challenge
- Biden's First Message: "I pledged to be a President who will not seek to divide, but unify!"