(Reuters)—Dubai Group has sold its Turkish insurance arm to a company owned by Maurice R. Greenberg, former CEO of American International Group Inc., and a unit of Dubai lender Mashreq Bank as the state investment firm looks to cut its debt pile. Oman Insurance Co., the Mashreq unit, said on Tuesday it had bought a 51% stake in Dubai Group Sigorta, an insurance company based in Istanbul that does nonlife insurance business. The remaining 49% was acquired by Starr Insurance & Reinsurance Ltd., part of Mr. Greenberg's Starr International Co., OIC said. No financial details of the transaction were provided.
Dubai Group, part of Dubai Holding, the personal investment firm of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, was hit hard by the global financial crisis and has seen the value of most of its holdings decline.
Like most other state-linked entities in the emirate, it embarked on talks with creditors to restructure debt and extend maturities.
Its financial assets include stakes in Egypt's EFG Hermes, an investment bank hit by Middle Eastern turmoil, and Cyprus Popular Bank, formerly Marfin, whose recapitalization forced Cyprus to seek an international bailout.
Dubai Group also has a stake in Borse Dubai, which owns 20.6% of the London Stock Exchange.
Penetration rates for the insurance sector in the Middle East remain low compared with developed markets, with operators under increasing pressure to boost efficiency, roll out new products and explore new markets.
Turkey, the fastest expanding economy in Europe with growth of 8.5% last year, is seen as attractive to foreign insurers looking to diversify away from competitive and mature home markets.
Dubai Group Sigorta was formed in 2008. It made a loss of 34.2 million Turkish lira ($18.8 million), according to its 2011 annual report.
Last modified onSaturday, 06 May 2017 10:07
Latest from Admin TOA
- Melisa Oguzcan Birlesmis Milletlerden bildiriyor
- Melisa Oğuzcan Washington,DC'den bildiriyor. Çavuşoğlu-Blinken görüşmesinden neler çıktı?
- The Latest Turkish-American developments by Melisa Oguzcan from White House
- The Gifted Photographer Joined TURKOFAMERICA Team
- First Syriac Immigrants in the United States