Alexandria, Va. – With the holy fasting month of Ramadan upon us, Islamic Relief USA, a nonprofit humanitarian and advocacy organization, has launched a campaign to distribute food boxes to vulnerable populations in Alexandria. Food insecurity has increased significantly since the Covid-19 pandemic took hold more than a year ago. To help ease the burden, IRUSA is expected to distribute 336 boxes, benefitting 230 clients. The distributions will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., on Friday, April 15, at Lincolnia Community Center, 5128 Lincoln Ave.
Recent Census data showed that 26 million Americans reported to not have enough to eat each week. In addition, Feeding America projects that during the course of the pandemic, the number of people relying on the “charitable food system” will have risen from 35 million to nearly 50 million.
“The month of Ramadan is an opportunity for Muslims across the world to increase giving and empathy. It is a time to remember our neighbors who are struggling and have found themselves in vulnerable circumstances,” said Sharif Aly, chief executive officer of IRUSA. “The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has particularly exacerbated food insecurity throughout the country. We are pleased to be collaborating with community-based organizations to provide assistance during this holy month.”6 "
- Islamic Relief USA Approves Emergency Response to Provide Hot Meals to Texas Residents
- Islamic Relief Organizations Pledge $10M to Help The People of Yemen
- Donations for Palestine Are Hitting Lows When The Needs Are Increasing
- Special Ramadan Greeting from Members of Congress
- Halfway through Ramadan
Latest from Admin TOA
- Melisa Oğuzcan, FED'in faiz artış kararı öncesi son bilgileri paylaşıyor
- Melisa Oguzcan Birlesmis Milletlerden bildiriyor
- Melisa Oğuzcan Washington,DC'den bildiriyor. Çavuşoğlu-Blinken görüşmesinden neler çıktı?
- The Latest Turkish-American developments by Melisa Oguzcan from White House
- The Gifted Photographer Joined TURKOFAMERICA Team